Logo

50hp 2stroke bottom carb pouring fuel out

tankstew

"Granted I'm no mechanic,

"Granted I'm no mechanic, but I usually can figure things out. A neighbor has a nice little 17ft flats type boat with a 50hp 2stroke yamaha on it that hasn't been run in about a year and a half. She said if we could get it running we could use it all we like here in Charleston! Anyway, I took the cover off, checked everything out, put a charger on the battery and after a few tries, got it to fire up. Granted, I never got it to maintain a good idle. I did clear a clog in the cooling discharge line. I noticed that there are two threaded holes at the front top of each of the three carbs. The bottom carb is POURING gasoline out of the aft of these two holes. Is this a sign that I have old gelled fuel in the carbs and that the lower carb is the only one functioning? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. The engine fires right up and I adjusted the idle which allows it to run for a while, but I'm not comfortable with that steady flow of fuel out of the lower carb.

thanks in advance of your suggestions!!"

If a motor sat for that long w

If a motor sat for that long with fuel in the carburetors you can do the motor a favour and your wallet.CLEAN THE 3 CARBURETORS!!!

"The bottom carb is POURING ga

"The bottom carb is POURING gasoline out of the aft of these two holes.

Your gasket are broken, since you had to charge the battery,? Seems to me that winterization process was not properly done.?

Do a general clean up and service the carbs as london requested, change the idlling is not helping correcting, but compensating."

I'm sure that the carbs ar

I'm sure that the carbs are probably gunked up so I agree cleaning them up with carb cleaner will definitely help. Next two questions.

1. Is it possible that the float on the bottom carb is stuck and that's why fuel is pouring out the hole on the top right side?
2. What all is involved in servicing the carb? Is this a full dissassembly?

"No short cuts here, dismantle

"No short cuts here, dismantle and clean.The fuel today plugs up the small holes in carburetor jets. The bottom float / float valve is like stuck to cause the leak. You will be saving time and aggravation later by cleaning the carburetors now."

Back