Logo

Detroit Vs Cummins

gin_ricky

"I am the owner of a 46 Post w

"I am the owner of a 46 Post with twin Detroits (671TI @ 450HP each)with Capitol Transmissions. As both of these engines are of 1978 vintage they both require a full overhaul for approx. $50,000. Instead of having the Detroits overhauled I am contemplating replacing them with twin Recon Cummins (6CTA8.3 @ 430HP each)for around the same cost. My thinking is that if I purchase the Cummins the advantages are that I am getting a much more modern engine (1997), more quieter, compact & fuel efficient. Eventhough I am steeping down from 450HP each to 430HP each shouldn`t matter as the weight/power ration is much greater than the Detroits. Can anyone offer any valid reasons or past experiences as to why I should or shouldn`t proceed?"

I would vote for the cummins r

I would vote for the cummins recon. But I would check out a few things first. Make sure that the recons don't exceed more than 1 hp/cubic inch. .75 hp is even better otherwise the engines won't have the longevity you would hope for. Some of these newer diesels have been tweeked too much to get too much HP from a small block deisel. They just can dissipate the heat well enough. Cummins generally stays well within the safty range in the ones I have seen. Cummins like you said will be more efficient which is a big factor these days with fuel prices being what they are. Also did you check trany compatability. It may be as simple as a new bell housing or it may requier new transmissions as well which should be factored in.
Peter

Back