Logo

Oil pressure drop while cruising with 4107

captainmarc

"I have a 4-107 with 300 hours

"I have a 4-107 with 300 hours after major in my 37' Irwin. The oil pressure at start up is over 40 psi. Over time while cruising at 2500-2800 rpms, the oild pressure will drop. After one hour it will be just over 30 psi. After 2-3 hours it will be 20-25 psi and hold there. The water temp remains constant at about 170 and there are no other signs of problems. If I shut down and sail for a while and let the engine cool, the pressure goes back up to 40 and repeats the above drop over time. My mechanic said not to worry about it but it is a concern while motoring. Does anyone have any similiar experience or any thoughts on this matter?"

"Marc, buddy, that is a normal

"Marc, buddy, that is a normal operating range. Oil, even multi-viscosity oil is thicker and registers higher on the pressure gauge when cold then after running at sustained operation. Be sure to use oil that is designated for use in diesel engines and not for use in gasoline engines only."

Sounds good. The best thing yo

Sounds good. The best thing you can do now to extend engine life is to change oil regularly. Enjoy your boat

Back