Logo

Blue and white smoke

billgallagher

"Looking at a boat today and e

"Looking at a boat today and exhaust color was blueish most of the time and white from time to time. Owner said once the engine is warm, these issues go away. It's no problem. Lehman 120 hp Engine was cold, outside air temp 55F and had the engine running for about 10 minutes. temp guage just reaching about 60C and oil pressure was a mere 40 psi at idle 3824 hours on the engine.
Confirm my fears: possiable head gasket replacement. and ........
TIA
Bill
angry.gif
"

"Bill
When its that cold 10mi

"Bill
When its that cold 10mins is not going to warm it up. I have to put a load on mine to get it to warm up. It will start blue and when it reaches operating temp it should be white. But it could be an oil additive, causing the blue, some people use light oil to lube the upper end. 3800 hours is not even broken in. This engine can go 30,000 hrs if maintained. 40psi when warm is OK.
Diesels are tough, robustly built, run it at 75% engine throttle and see how it goes. I love my diesel. ANd no I don't think there is anything wrong at this point, just cold air, cold engine."

"Thanks Captain William in giv

"Thanks Captain William in giving me confidence about the motor .... If my old Mercedes diesel showed blue and white smoke, major problem. will have it tested at 1800 rpm. However, the owner told me he was told 3 to 4 years ago to change the oil in the trans, and never did...I did not ask him if he changed the oil in the injector pump, assuming he did not....I certainly do not like unchanged oil for such a long time in the trans and injector pump. Rapid wear, but how much? Pump is big $ as will as the trans..Just a thought, any way to measure the wear besides taking it apart? Seems like a impossiable question coming from knowledge base....TIA
Bill
uhoh.gif
"

Back