Logo

Damaged Piston on 671 TIB

T

TRAVIS ALI

Boat ran perfect for over 200

Boat ran perfect for over 200 miles from Trinidad to st lucia at 1950 rpm. 19 kts 178 and 175 degrees. As we slowed down into the marina port side started to smoke rediculously. Thought it was a bad injector turned out about 1/2 inch of the rim from the piston broke off and damaged a few valves in that cylinder. Please tell me what could have caused such a problem to arise . The liners and rings were pretty ok but i think ill rebuild the engine fully. Thanls

"POSSABLY TOP RING BROKE UP, M

"POSSABLY TOP RING BROKE UP, MIT HAVE BEEN WORE OUT. IS THERE ENY GROVE LEFT ON THE RING,AND HOW ABOUT THE OTHER RINGS ON OTHER PISTONS."

no top ring wasnt broken howve

no top ring wasnt broken howver it was visible. we changed thje valves and gaskets jus to get the boat home. i think ill rebuild the entire engine even though the liners and rings seemed fine other people said i should jus change that piston but my mind wouldnt be at ease

"With the low cost of a rebuil

"With the low cost of a rebuilt long block, I would not rebuild this engine, there could be other problems. Look through Boats and Harbors Magazine, the price of a complete long block is low."

will keep in mind that a pisto

will keep in mind that a piston will not juat brake something had to cause it""".

"from the look of it, it doesn

"from the look of it, it doesnt seem that the valve hit the piston first. the piece of piston was broken off clean on the rim. There are no dents in the piston either. Someone suggested to me that there is a possibility of one of piece of the impeller side of the turbo broke off and flew into the chamber?"

my mechanic says that by the l

my mechanic says that by the look of it the turbo was going and also the injector might have been putting to much fuel on that one piston causing it to get damaged

Back