Logo

Convert BF40 to a 50HP

W

W Scriber

"From what I understand the 40

"From what I understand the 40, 50 and 60hp Honda's carry the same engine. I currently have a 2001 BF40 that is a little undersized for my 16' boat. I think converting the 40 to a 50 would most definately be cheaper than buying a new outboard. Can it be done and if so how?"

"Depending what is involved, m

"Depending what is involved, most times it's not worth the upgrade. Most often the difference is the carbs and exhaust.

If you have to completely replace the carbs, the cost quickly escalates.

Also, with the little extra horsepower, you most likely would need a new prop as well.

For all your costs, going from a 40 to a 50 horse on your rig will most often produce an "un-noticeable" performance change. Often an increase of about 3 mph at WOT under absolutely ideal conditions.

I have converted more than a couple 9.9's up to 15's for guys (ditto 18's to 25's and 30's to 40's) and unless they are lying, they don't see a difference. Except when they note that they now burn more gas....

If you really want a performance increase, sell your current motor and buy a used (similar vintage) at the max rating for your boat. If you are already close to that now with your 40, save your money and enjoy the boat...

Going from a 40 to say a 75, you will notice - a 40 to a 50 just not enough to warrant possibly screwing something up/plus the cost involved...

Just my 2 cent opinion...."

Is it true that there the same

Is it true that there the same? I need a lower unit for a BF45a. I wondered if a BF50 lower unit would interchange.

"Mark, it looks like they used

"Mark, it looks like they used the same gear case/guts on a number of models. For example I checked a 1997 BF45 against a 1998 BF50 on the parts list, and the lower units are the same.

But to be sure, obviously you would have to ref your model against the intended replacement model.."

Back