Logo

Oil presure for 671

tgcasey

Hi

I just bought a boat wit

Hi

I just bought a boat with 671 (my first diesel boat). I had an engine survey and the oil pressure was 35 - 40 PSI. I have a capt bringing the boat up and he said the pressure is 20 PSI. The boat has been sitting for a bout 2 years so I am not sure if there something in the way maintenance I can do?

If it is the oil pump where is it located (i.e. in the oil pan like on a gas motor)?

Thanks

Tom

Be sure that you have the corr

Be sure that you have the correct crankcase oil and that it is not too old. Crankcase oil for diesel engines must be rated for use in diesel engines and NOT for gasoline engines only. This will be clearly marked on the bottle. There is a myth about diesels that they can go longer between oil changes than gasoline engines. It is natural for the oil to get darker more quickly but this is because it is getting dirty from the soot. You might want to change it more often.

The oil pump is your least concern.

"Thanks

I was thinking the

"Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. My guess is that the oil is pretty old. I was thinking of changing it before I put her away this year, I need to put an oil change pump on anyway...

Thanks again

Tom"

"Tom
Worn main bearings, can

"Tom
Worn main bearings, can cause low oil pressure, space between gets to large pressure drops. This is another possible reason for the low pressure."

Make sure you use Delo 100 str

Make sure you use Delo 100 straight 40 weight cf-2 oil in that 6-71DD

Back