Logo

Cummins 6BTA59 litre Engine head torque specs amppattern

sailmaster

Regular Contributor
Does anyone have the torque sp

Does anyone have the torque specs for a Cummins 6BTA-5.9 litre? I need the engine head torque specs & pattern.

"I'm sure you don't ne

"I'm sure you don't need this info anymore but I'll post it anyway for the next guy who does. Torque all 26 bolts to 66 Ft.Lbs starting in the middle and using a circular pattern work your way out, recheck all. Torque the 6 LONG bolts to 89 Ft.Lbs, Recheck. Turn all bolts 90 degrees. I have an angle gauge, however I prefer to use a paint pen and run lines across the heads of all bolts once torqued, before I turn them ,parallel to the length of the block. I turn all the bolts so the lines are 90 degrees to the length of the block.

Since the bolts are torque to yeild it's tough to recheck and see if you accidently missed one. With the lines you know for sure. Also I ALWAYS replace the head bolts reguardless of how long they have been in service. The idea of a torque to yeild bolt is that it will stretch once it reaches it's yeild point, somewhere over 90 Ft.Lbs. Once you have streatched the bolt it will be longer, and thus thinner making breakage more possible."

Back