Logo

Nissan 98 2004 Startup issues

chefd420

"I have a motor that I have se

"I have a motor that I have seen run just fine a few weeks back. I just bought a 27' Catlina and have been underway with the motor before purchasing. However, she will start under full choke just fine, but immediately stops running. I know fuel is getting to the engine just fine. Can anyone help me to diagnose the problem? I just don't see what could change from literally one week to the next. The owners manual doesn't have any diagram of the carb to see if it can be adjusted. Fuel filter is clean and full. No leaks in the fuel lines."

So what is the starting procud

So what is the starting procudure you are using?? Are you pushing the choke in after it stalls out?/ It may be flooding --tell us more.Water in the fuel ????

"No water in the fuel that I c

"No water in the fuel that I can discern. To start: I make sure the gas tank is vented and connected to the engine correctly, tilt the engine into the water, make sure the cut-off switch is properly situated, pump the bulb until tight, pull the choke all the way out, and pull the cord. The result is a crank which immediately shuts off (1-2 seconds long.) The prefilter in the gas tank is clear. The inline filter is clear. The spark plugs look fine. How does one get to the carb to clean it? There is a silver plate on top of the throttle body which I took off, but that doesn't look like it to me."

The choke is supposed to bring

The choke is supposed to bring fuel ( lots of it ) for start up.If a motor stops immediately after firing it is an indication that the CKOKE has done the job it is supposed to do. Try starting without choke or half choke after this event.Also turn throttle open till it hits the nuetral stop. That is to say ignore the guide on the handle as most are not accurate.

"The engine will not start wit

"The engine will not start without the choke all the way out. I have started the engine with the throttle half way up the scale, and the same problem occured--starts and immediately stops."

"It's likely a dirty carbu

"It's likely a dirty carburetor problem. Depending on whether or not you have a 2-stroke or 4-stroke, the carb is on the front or the side."

"It is a 2004 9.8 4 stroke. I

"It is a 2004 9.8 4 stroke. I think it is on the side, but I don't know how to get into is to clean it. There is a silver plate on top, but that doesn't seem to be where I need to get."

"It's on the side...You ta

"It's on the side...You take the carburetor off, take it completely apart, soak it in carburetor cleaner for three hours and then put it back on."

Back