Logo

Honda BF50A Prop Question

fish777

"Hello all. First poster here.

"Hello all. First poster here.

I recently purchased a new BF50A for a 15'8" Stinger boat. The motor came with a C3x11.1x13 prop, which I'm told is the wrong prop. The out-of-state dealer was supposed to send me the correct prop but has been very non-responsive.

Anyone know which prop would be the best to purchase? Also, is there a chance the existing prop could damage the motor by revving too high (it's a tiller model so I don't have a tachometer)?

Thanks very much!"

"I'm curious, is it posssi

"I'm curious, is it posssible to hook up a tach?
It seems that it would be the only way to find out which prop is right for your boat/motor/boating needs combination."

"John, SR is right about the t

"John, SR is right about the tach, best way to do it, however, I have lot's of lists and a prop calculator
So can give you a rough start point.

So it spit out, that you can probably, easily run a 15 pitch, given the weight of the boat/motor/junk and 2 pers on board.

However, running it as a tiller tends to change the waterflow considerably over the hull plus the motor has to lift your weight up as well (at the transom) to get on plane, but that's easier than front heavy etc, etc - so bottom line, the 13 pitch might just run ok for you - take you up close to Max RPM's.

At worst, this being a new motor probably has some sort of over-rev circuit (??) - if so, it will protect you until you can get a tach read on things...."

"Thanks very much guys, I real

"Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure how I'd hook up a tach, so I'll probably get a new prop and save the old one as a spare."

Back