Logo

Freshwater cooling for Volvo 170bs

G

Greg Kelly

" Does anyone out there have a

" Does anyone out there have any experience with fresh water cooling these old brutes? I have a twin engine boat, and not only are the exhaust components expensive, but they are hard to get. Blocks and heads are even worse. I was told that a Mercruiser system could be adapted, but someone else said it didnt transfer enough heat away. Suggestions? Short of putting Chevies in it? "

"Greg,
Would a Volvo workshop

"Greg,
Would a Volvo workshop manual help? I assume that you are raw water cooled at the moment?
Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

" I have since continued to de

" I have since continued to develop this fresh water cooling system for the Volvo 170. Because of the cost of new manifolds (I could use a spare, anyone?), I have decided to make it a complete system, not just cool the block and head. This presents a few questions.

Will the raw water pump that is on the timing cover deliver enough cooling water to the heat exchanger? Assuming it's too small, does any og the other guys, Mercury, etc, make a belt driven impellar type pump I could adapt? I am a mechanic by trade, so the fabrication of brackets and such is not a problem. (Old mechanic that still can fix things.)

What size heat exchanger would be appropriate? Do they go by cubic inch displacement or what?

Do heat exchangers come with standard size fittings, or are there lots of choices in size and placement?

If I assume I will be using a surge tank with the radiator cap/pressure cap on it, will the heat exchanger need to be above the level of the engine?

How important is a low flow warning on the raw water side? Is the lag between losing raw water and engine overheat pretty quick, or is there significant lag? "

Greg
Any information on con

Greg
Any information on converting a Aq170 engine to fresh water cooling would be great.

Thanks in Advance
Dave McCall
Vancouver BC.

Back