Logo

Power steering belts

N

New Boater

I have just purchased my firs

I have just purchased my first boat. I was cleaning it yesterday and noticed that only one engine has a power steering belt on it while both engines have power steering pumps. Both pumps have power steering fluid in them. I called the dealer that I bought this boat from and he told me that only one is required. I find this strange but as I am new to boating am not really sure.

Can someone please advise and thanks in advance.

"The dealers statement is true

"The dealers statement is true if you have only one power steering setup whereas the 2nd engine is simply linked to the first engine by a mechanical linkage rod (standard setup).

If the mechanical linkage rod did not exist, and a second power steering unit existed (very unlikely), then the 2nd engine would require that the power steering be operatable. This scenario would not be feasible as it would be impossible to keep the two engines synchronized in their alignment..... consider the dealers word to be true.

Joe
"

"Mine has twin 225HP 3-liter S

"Mine has twin 225HP 3-liter SeaDrives. Both have power steering and both are connected. As Mr. Reeves noted, these motors have no mechanical connection between them. OMC used a fancy hydraulic centering valve to work their magic."

Back