Logo

Coil problems

J

Jim Dunn

Gray Marine flathead 4-90hp 1

Gray Marine flathead 4-90hp 12 volt coil gets extremly hot after short run or if key is left on.Motor develops a miss after warming up. After warm up motor will not idle long and shuts off only to start up a few minutes later. Could the coil wires be reversed or should I look for something else? Coil is new but I have had problems with wiring this newly rebuilt motor. I thought that every thing was correct after fixing a short in the system.

" Jim,
If you leave the i

" Jim,
If you leave the ignition on when the engine is not running the coil can explode. Also if you have points they can weld together.
Coils get hot, that's why most are filled with oil. They can get even hotter with the ignition on and the engine not running as they may not be discharging.
Heat activated misfire is a rare symtom that is associated with a defective coil, however if you have a condenser it could be that also. I would especially suspect a condenser if you recently replaced it as condensers are notorious among ignition components for being bad when new. After that I would assume that the coil though new is defective.
Did you get the right coil? There are ones that require exteral ballisting and ones that do not. Marine engines should not.
Eddie "

Back