Logo

Chrysler 318 Firing order and location ASAP

larry

" I'm trying to get a &#39

" I'm trying to get a '73 318 to start. It has breaker ignition with a prestoline marine distributor. I'd try to find TDC but the timing markings are rusted out. I was wondering if anyone knew where #1 terminal was relative to the bolts on the cap and the hardware inside the distributor. Also this engine spins the rotor clockwise. I have the firing set up as 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. How do I know if this is a left hand drive or a right hand drive? I'm used to working on cars...I belive the boat is a Silverton Crusader??? I just want this to start, I am aware I don't have much of a clue
"

" Turn engine over till #1 pis

" Turn engine over till #1 piston is at TDC with both valves closed. If one valve is open you are 180 degrees off. Lift distributor cap and see where rotor is pointing. That is #1 terminal. Mark harmonic balancer (scribe and paint, I use white out).That is tdc.

If single engine most likely a standard rotation.

What you need to look at is the engine serial number plate and at the firing order. For R-10, R-13, R-15, R-25, and R-30 the firing order is 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8.

For L-10, L-13, L-15, L-25, L-30 the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Unfortunately the L-19 has a firing order of 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8, and the R-19 has a firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The reason for this being that the R and L really stand for the prop rotation and not the engine rotation. Which is one and the same except for the L-19 and R-19 engines.

Basically if one firing order doesn't work try the other (I really wouldn't spend alot of time looking for a nameplate.). Set points to .014"-.019". Dwell 27-32 degrees. Timing is 5 degrees BTDC. Nice motor in it's day. Hope this is a help. "

Back