Logo

1974 OMC High Profile 225 hp stern drive electric shift Wonbt shift into reverse

• Thread starter thomas michael yocum
  • Start date
T

thomas michael yocum

" I have a OMC High Profile 22

" I have a OMC High Profile 225hp sterndrive electric shift on my 40 foot boat. One of two units.

At the end of last season, I had a rope fall off the boat while in route and wind around one of the props until the prop stopped when I was going in reverse. I did not realize it. The engine stopped and I started it again and again put in reserve. The engine again stopped running. I did this several times until I realized what was happening. I jumped in and cut off the rope. I went back in in forward and everyting was great. The next time I went out I realized that the unit no longer went into reverse. It just won't engage. Forward works great. Could anyone speculate as to what is broken and how much you think a repair would be?

Also, I have thought of just getting a rebuild and bolt it on instead. Anyone have one? "

" Do you have forward and NEUT

" Do you have forward and NEUTRAL, but no reverse or FORWARD only? Forward only means you probably broke a spring unit in the bottom end which on electric shift units, gives you forward travel only. If you have forward and neutral, then you have other problems which I would not try to elaborate on. Have a great day. "

Back