Logo

Marine Electric Fuel Pump Advice needed

M

Mike Fenn

" I have a 1977 Chris Craft Ca

" I have a 1977 Chris Craft Catalina with twin 350Q engines. If I can't find the original mechanical fuel pumps then I will replace the faulty electric fuel pumps with other electric pumps. Most companies (ie. Holly & Carter) say the fuel pump must be at most 2 feet from the fuel tank, however Canadian regulations state that the fuel pump must be within 12 inches of the engine it serves. The electric fuel pump companies say electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. My engines are 10 - 15 ft away from my fuel tanks thus if installed to Canadian regulations I will be pulling fuel a long way. Walbro seems to make a pump that will push & pull fuel, however it was recently decided that they be used for diesel fuel only (I think Stuart Warner made the same decision).

Any suggestions on what marine electric fuel pumps I should be looking at? What PSI should I be looking for?

Thanks

Mike "

" Mike,
Fuel pumps push b

" Mike,
Fuel pumps push better than they suck. Also true is that the legal configuration is for your safety. In a case like that I would tend to error on the side of safety. I would inquire about the the best pump but personally I found that in the past I wasted time trying to make a perfect decision rather than going with my best shot.
Eddie "

The low pressure electric fue

The low pressure electric fuel pumps that come on the marine Volvo engines are avaiable thru your auto jobber stores (lordco & the like) It will take a bit of plumbing to install correctly but most important will be wiring! Pump should be wired thru a relay which will accitivate pump for 3/4 sec. when key is in run position - then pick up its power from alternator while engine running. This is all for safty so as if float in carb fails or ? & key is in run pos. bildge will not be full of gas. GOOD IDEA.
Check out wiring diagrams of later Merc ~ Volvo.s for detailed how to ideas

I decided to try the Carter m

I decided to try the Carter marine fuel pump. I installed it and it seems to be working fine.

Back