Logo

Perkins 6354 Oil from exhaust

pat

" After running the motor for

" After running the motor for two hours at 1700 revs, noted a sligt trickle of oil on hull below exhaust outlet. What could be the cause of this, also exhaust shows a little smoke. Any advice would be much appreciated. "

" Sounds like you might be bur

" Sounds like you might be burning oil, although I would imagine you would see a lot more blue smoke than "just a little". What you might be seeing is a form of smoke condensate dripping down from the exhaust. This is smoke particles (basically soot) that get mixed with water and form an inky black liquid. If this sounds like what it looks like, and the oil level on the engine is not going down very fast, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Generally excessive oil consumption is only a serious problem if it becomes hard to maintain a proper oil level in the engine, the smoke is unbearable (especially when motoring downwind), or just too embarassing! I don't think they issue citations for excessive smoke on boats just yet.
Chet "

"I have the same problem with

"I have the same problem with a small 12 hp Yanmar diesel in my Hunter 30. When I rev up the rpms sooty looking black residue discharges onto the surface of the water. Oil level does not change. Does anyone know what I should do, if anything?
Please advise, Thanks Randy Clouse
[email protected]"

Back