Logo

OMC 800 outdrive lower unit question

C

CJ

" Anyone have information on r

" Anyone have information on removing the lower unit while everything is still attatched to the boat? I need to take a look inside my lower unit but I'm not sure how to get it off. I loosened the 4 bolts that mount it to the upper unit and drained the gear oil. Wasn't sure about how to disconnect the shift linkage, but the lower unit didn't come loose anyway.
My exhaust is somehow getting into my water supply chambers and I don't know why. I suspect the exhaust passage is partially blocked in the lower unit.
Any suggestions????? "

" CJ,

I am going through th

" CJ,

I am going through the same trouble with my boat right now. My guess is that you ran the motor out of the water like I did. I replaced my points and started the motor to check it. There is an impeller that is in the outdrive and it drive the water into the system. It is made of rubber and burns up. Then the water doesn't circulate properly and the exhaust over heats. The exhaust is higher than the block and when the gasket gets blown water flows into the motor.

Now to answer you question about the lower outdrive unit. Beside removing the four bolts, there are two allen bolts that need to be removed. There is a little fin like piece on the unit which needs to be removed. This will expose the allen bolts. I hope this helps you. My boat is in pieces in my driveway waiting for the parts. "

" Uh oh. What's wrong wit

" Uh oh. What's wrong with running the motor out of the water, particularly if you run water through it with one of those garden hose attachments?

What's wrong with running the motor for a few minutes even without the garden hose attachment?

Thanks "

"CJ hold on! If you try to rem

"CJ hold on! If you try to remove the lower unit with the drive attached to the boat you will ruin a $300+
shift cable. I had the same problem 800 stringer overheating. There are 2 seal that are between the upper and lower units. This is where the swivel bearings at. When your ideling in the water the seals are covered in water.The exhaust gases pass with out being sucked up.When you throttle up the
upper unit is out of the water. The sea water pump
is trying to suck water up but its easer to gases past the seals causing overheating. Try this first on the front side of the upper housing on the bottom there is a plug or hole. In side is a grease zerk.This is for the swivel bearing area between the 2 seals,pump it full of OMC triple guard grease about 20 pumps this will seal the area where the seals are leaking. In the fall get a manual and change the seals."

Back