Logo

Submerged Volvo MD7b

D

Dan C

" I have a volvo md7b which wa

" I have a volvo md7b which was submerged in salt water for approximately 30 minutes when boat almost sunk at dock.
within on hour of submerging I removed gearbox and dumped oil and Salt water out of crankcase.
then hand pumped any remaining watery oil i could.
Flushed through engine with denatured alcohol by pouring in oil filler and letting pour through and out case. then hand pumped again.
reattached gearbox, filled with heavy diesel grade oil, changed oil filter. turned over with compression switch open, then closed compression switch and engine started up. Idled and ran under slight load for 5 minutes. Oil has been changed again and engine has been periodically started for several weeks.
Yesterday took boat out for sea trials, Upon leaving dock running smooth. opened up throttle a little once underway and much geyish white smoke,
Not steam as this smoke traveled all throuh marina! I backed down throttle and smooth again and no smoke. Let run low end for about twenty minutes, but everytime I tried to throttle up at a certain hi throttle point much grey white smoke again. i back off alittle and smooth and clean just not the max throttle I used to run before submerging. After some time out was able to throttle up quite well with no smoke but once I tried for high range smoke starts .
What causes this? "

Back