Logo

OMC elecrtic shift and small block chevy

R

Rob Kuelbs

" Hi guys, I've had a grea

" Hi guys, I've had a great time reading your messages, learned alot about boats. Either way, I'm still a dry-land guy. Anyways, I'm buying a boat from a friend, and need some marine advice. The boat originally had a 3.8L buick v6 with an omc electronic shift outdrive (late 60's, I can get you the exact year and any other info you need off of it). He bought the boat last summer and immediately ruined the outdrive (oil pump failure, the vertical shaft and it's bearings burnt out). He bought a remanufactured outdrive. First time he took it out, he said he was having engine problems, and called me over. I found the motor to basically be junked. Either way, i sugggested a small block transplant. He doesn't want to do it, but instead offered me the boat, said i could have it if i wanted. I'm wondering how much torque/hp this outdrive can handle, or if i will have to move to a beefier unit. If i need to upgrade, is it possible to use any better units with this same gimble, or will i need to replace it entirely. I will build this motor to produce whatever hp you recommend this drive can safely handle. "

You have to change the gearin

You have to change the gearing in the upper gearcase. v-6 units have a 19.20 gear ratio. v-8 units have a 21.16 ratio. Either unit will fit your intermediate housing. I have several engines and outdrives to fit your boat. check out my website at www.mmsalvage.com

george

Back