Logo

79 Omc 800 Uppergearcase Blown amp High altitude gearing

josh

Contributing Member
" Thanks for everybodies help

" Thanks for everybodies help on the last post. I seperated the upper and lower case. The lower case is good. The ring and pinoin gears in the upper case are striped. I wanted to regear the boat (I live at 10000ft). I bought a set of 21:19 gears.

1 are 21:19 gears correct for a 230 HP? It has 20:16? in it.

Also I was thinking of buying a used upper and put new parts in it. What should I look for? Are OMC 800 uppers different from earlier models?

If the bearings seem to turn smooth, should I replace them anyway?

Lastly, any recommedations on who to purchase bearings, and sealkit?

Thanks again
Josh "

"Josh,
Here is a good link fo

"Josh,
Here is a good link for parts. e-bay is another good source. I saw some upper gears for $28.00 last week for the set (what a deal). Quick question though, I need to take a look inside my lower unit (800 OMC Cobra) but I've never taken one apart. What do I have to do to drop the lower unit? From the diagrams, it looks pretty simple; drain the lube and unbolt it? But before I do, I want to ensure I'm not opening a can of worms. Here's the link.

http://216.37.204.206/Actionsports/omc_oem/omc.asp"

" Drain the lube disconect shi

" Drain the lube disconect shift cable. (Mine was truecourse, pull trucourse cover off and disconnect both cables.)

Remove four 3/8 bolts from the top of the upper gearcase. Gently pry off cover. The lower case is now free. "

Back