Logo

99MXHT removal question

B

Brian D

"I have an '85 9.9MXHT on

"I have an '85 9.9MXHT on my sailboat and I need to remove it to service the cooling system. I cannot see how to remove the linkage between the outboard controls and the motor. I have the owners manual and a Clymer Shop Manual but neither discuss this topic.

Can anyone assist me with the procedures for removing the control cables from the motor? Thanks millions.

Brian D
http://www.legendary-prime.com/Takara.htm"

"Brian, first I believe your m

"Brian, first I believe your motor is a 1995 (vice 85) - but that doesn't make a difference

The controls would have been an "add-on" since I believe this originally came as a tiller model.

Anyhow, if you remove the hood and just follow the cables as they come through the lower cowel you will find the two ends that "clip" onto either the shift lever or throttle lever. (the red ends in the picture - yours will differ in colour for sure).

The pic is from a Mariner, and while not exactly the same, will give you a good idea (because they are quite similar).

Once the ends are unhooked and pulled clear of their respective posts, you can simply pull the cables out through the grommet and you're all set...

101329.jpg

101330.jpg
"

"Thanks Graham. You are correc

"Thanks Graham. You are correct, it is a '95. Don't know why I said '85. Maybe this is just frying my brain.

Here is a photo of the linkage.

114042.jpg

I am guessing that the silver retainer clip slides toward the camera and that will release the black plastic clip. Then I am guessing that I have to separate the rod from the black clip.

Thanks again and I think I understand.

Brian D
http://www.legendary-prime.com/Takara.htm"

"Yes Brian, slide the silver r

"Yes Brian, slide the silver retainer back towards the camera - then the black end would come off by moving to the left of this picture.

Then just remove the cables from whatever guide/grommet etc that is (holding) them in the engine compartment and they will pull out clear of the engine.

If you don't mess around with the little nut that you can see at the bottom of the black end, then you will not have adjust these upon reassembly..."

Back