Logo

Yamaha 90 Trim amp Tilt

bwhmtzx

"I am resealing the trim and t

"I am resealing the trim and tilt on my 2001 Yamaha 90 TLRZ. I can't figure out how to replace the seal on the tilt cylinder cap. The piston appears to be pressed on with a split pin through the piston and shaft. I removed the pin, removed the screw in the end, and all the balls and valves. I tried to press it through the screw hole, but no luck. Is it heated and then pressed off? It's a mystery."

"My problem is, the seal and c

"My problem is, the seal and cap can't be removed from the shaft because there is a piston on one end of the shaft and the mounting eye welded on the other end. The manual does not tell how to dissasemble it. The piston looks pressed on. You can buy the seal for a few bucks, or the whole assembly for 354.00."

Yes. It does not show how to g

Yes. It does not show how to get the piston off the shaft. The parts guy at a dealer suggested that the piston may screw onto the shaft. I will try using a spanner on the holes in the piston with the eye in a vise tonight.

"I put the eye end of the shaf

"I put the eye end of the shaft in a vise, removed all the balls, springs,and valves from the piston, and used a Snap On 2 pin spanner wrench in the holes, and low and behold, the piston unscrewed. I was able to change the seals in the lift cyl cap. The parts guy at Yamaha of Central Fl @Boats.net in Lake Placid had the right idea. Now I can finish the job. I only wish Yamaha made a seal kit instead of having to buy every piece seperately. Thanks."

Back