Logo

What would you do 200 ox66

"my 2001 200 ox66 is getting s

"my 2001 200 ox66 is getting some hours on it. would go to a 4 stroke or buy another two stroke?
questions:
2 stroke....

what model 200 yahama replaces the 2001 2 stroke?

are the hook-ups the same...wiring harness, oil tank,controls etc.

what is ballpark for a new 200, i can probably do it if the hook-ups are the same.

4 stroke:
hook-ups...all need to be changed? harness, binacle, etc.

ball park $$ for a new 200 4sroke, plus the necessary hook ups, and labor to do it, if my shadetree experience won't be enough.

your opinion?"

"John, in a "new" 2-st

"John, in a "new" 2-stroke, you would be looking at either the 200 (2.6L) HPDI or the 200 (3.3L) V Max HPDI. They are CARB 2 rated, so nice and clean running, good fuel economy (for a 200 horse) etc.

These are direct injected motors however, nothing really like a "conventional" 2 stroke - totally advanced technology. And tips the scales at about 540 pounds.

Bit of sticker shock (for me anyhow) - MSRP around the 18 grand mark - ya, $18,000...

On the 4-stroke side you would be looking at the F200 EFI. Carb 3 rated (so a little cleaner running) - won't have either the torque or "out of the hole performance" that the HPDI will. Will tip the scales at a little over 580 lbs (so not a significant difference over the 2 stroke at least as far as weight).

MSRP on this model, just over the 22K mark - so about 4 grand more than the 2's.

Of course, you could probably pick them up with some savings on the list price for sure...

It doesn't look like Yami has changed much with regard to the controls over the past few years - but perhaps someone else can step in here with a "for sure" answer.

My opinion though - if your current motor is still running well, why change it? Just because the hours are getting up there? Far more outboards fail because of "under-use". If it's run good this long, must of been well built - right???

Your current motor may only bring you a couple of grand on a trade (or even private sale)it is after all an "old" pollution spewing 2 stroke

So unless you have to replace it, personally I would just hold off. If you are going to get next to nothing for it, wait until it's worth nothing before swapping out....

My 2 cents..."

"graham, thanks you.

which

"graham, thanks you.

which 2 stroke do you like....2.6L or 3.3L?
my ox66 has been trouble free, and your correct its still running good, so just thinking.

what about the 4 stroke controls, etc..i guess everything would need to be changed correct?

does the msrp of $22 include the whole package for hook-up"

"John, first off, I checked ou

"John, first off, I checked out your website
If I'm ever heading down your way (I live way up north), will definately look to make time for a day out.

I have been doing a fair bit of personal research on the direct injected 2's lately - the Evinrude ETEC, Merc Optimax and Yami VMax.

In the Yami, at that horse I would prefer the 3.3L. It's only a few hundred bucks more than the smaller powerhead and I still figure the larger the cubic inches (litres) to horsepower ratio has got to be better - just less stress overall on all the parts - not that there is alot of parts on these DFI's compared to the 4 strokes.

All else being equal, I would go for a direct injected 2 over the 4 stroke. Simply because there is just less to "break down" on them - no cams/valves etc.

As far as the controls - should all be similar - of course, if you want the modern (smart) gauges that go along with these (I think I saw they were a $4000 option), then I imagine the rigging would be different. But at the shifter end of things, it really doesn't care whether it's a 2 stroke or 4 stroke throttle at the other end of it..."

John - "Just-In-Time"

John - "Just-In-Time" who posts on here alot has significant experience with big motors. You may want to get an opinion from him as well. He most certainly can answer any of the more technical questions you may have about them.

2.6l is the best motor yami bu

2.6l is the best motor yami built
3.3l is having oiling problems
i have a 200 2.6l hpdi with 1500 hours

Back