Logo

Overheating Perkins 4108M

V

Vincent

" Hi all !!

I have a Perkin

" Hi all !!

I have a Perkins 4.108M that only overheats when a thermostat in installed. I have tried serveral new thermostats 140,160,180 and they all cause the engine to heat above 200. When I remove the thermostat and run without one, It runs fine (under 120)

Thanks for the help!!!!

Vincent
NYC "

" 120deg is way to cold,engine

" 120deg is way to cold,engine should run around 185/190deg /f or 197/208f depends on what thermost you are useing.what temp has it run in the past? did you just do eny work on the engine and this starerd after it? "

" Marv,

Thanks very much fo

" Marv,

Thanks very much for responding to my post!

You are correct in your assumption that I have done some recent engine work! I had to remove the header tank in order to re-config some wires.

The problem is that when i put in anytype of thermostat the engine ends up overheating (above 210) However, when I run the engine without one it runs cool (below 120) Do you think i have some air in the coolant lines?

Thanks much Marv!!!

Vincent "

" My boat with a Perkins 4.108

" My boat with a Perkins 4.108 was recently motored over a distance of 30Km (maiden voyage for vessel under new ownership). The engine ran well for about 3 hours at 2200 rpm. When rpm's were raised to 2500rpm, the temperature started to climb and overheated in a matter of minutes. I was watching the temperature gauge. When it climbed over 210F, the engine was backed off to idle, but the temp continued to climb to the top end of the temp guage. The engine was shut down at that point, and immediately after, we noted fumes coming from the engine compartment. Antifreeze was noted in the catch basin under the engine. Not sure what has failed in the 'fresh water' loop, or if the failure was caused by the overheating or visa versa. The sea water loop appears to be functioning properly. Where are the drain plugs on the fresh water loop? Can't locate it (them) in my manuals?

Any Canadian/Ontario sources for parts, service support, information? "

Back