Logo

Honda BF115 Hesitation Upon Acceleration

B

Broc Stripling

"I recently bought a boat w/ a

"I recently bought a boat w/ a Honda BF115. The fuel tank was about 1/2 full(42 gal tank) of 1 year old gas. Before my first trip out, I filled the tank.

The first time I took it out it ran good the first part of the day, except for a very small hesitation upon hard acceleration. The second part of the day, the PFI light and an intermitant buzzer came on so I proceeded to the dock and took the boat to the service shop. The shop checked the motor and replaced a wiring harness on the motor that had a short in it. They then started the motor and it spit and sputtered badly. The serviceman said that he then drained the fuel from the motor, hooked it up to his shop fuel tank and it ran like a top. They told me that I had bad gas. I then drained the fuel, changed the fuel filter (the one before the line hits the engine) and put about 6 gal. of reg. fuel in the tank. I then took the boat out, ran it, and it hesitated for about 1 second every time I accelerated hard, but otherwise ran good.

My questions: do I need to change the small filter under the engine hood, maybe put more fuel in the tank, is there any suggested fuel additive that would clean out the system and prevent this, could there be any other problems (related to the faulty wiring harness or ???)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated."

change the fuel filter
change

change the fuel filter
change the high pressure filter
clean out the water separator

"Thanks for the advice, I will

"Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot and let you know how it works."

"Make sure you use marine grad

"Make sure you use marine grade gas, without the ethanol. I had hesitation issues on my 25HP unit until I dumped the gas station fuel I was using and filled up at a marina pump station."

"Drained vaporizer (via bl

"Drained vaporizer (via bleed-off screw), changed water fuel sepatator (the one before the engine), cleaned out water fuel separator (the one inside the engine cowling), replaced low and high pressure filters. Added 25 gal of Union 76 mid grade fuel to the tank. Results...runs like a top. Thank you for the help"

Back