Logo

87 351 with no spark

hilldarren

"I have a 87 Supra with a Ford

"I have a 87 Supra with a Ford 351. It was missing real bad , so I rebuilt the carb. I had it on the charger and tried to crank it and now I cannot get any spark from the coil. I replaced the coil with a 12v coil that does not need a resistor, but I still cannot get any spark. I tried bypassing the resistor to the coil and still no spark. I checked the voltage and get 14 volts on both sides of the resistor and both sides of the coil."

"Check the points for any obvi

"Check the points for any obvious damage and that you have gap, then put in a new condenser."

The points are grounded and yo

The points are grounded and you will get no high voltage from the coil. Part of the points is negative or grounded and the other part is positive. To test turn on the key open the points by hand you should see a spark as they open if not figure out whats gorunding the positive side of the points. This is common problem I have been fixing for 40 years. Most do it them self types miss connect the lead from the coil grounding it.

"hill,

change over to elect

"hill,

change over to electronic ignition like JUST-IN-TIME recommended. It's a relatively cheap and easy conversion and at least you can rule out your ignition once you've done this. Mallory Uni-lite is a pretty nice and low maintenance set up."

Back