Logo

Volvo penta 120s saildrive

R

Robert Westlake

I amm experiencing problems w

I amm experiencing problems with 'slipping' in high loads (not heavy loads) forward and reverse gear. The boat is in the water and it is hard to have a look internally. Has anyone experienced this before. I am betting on problems with the oil in the saildrive and the slip coupling slipping too soon. ANY IDEAS ?

" Robert, How many hours on un

" Robert, How many hours on unit? Fixed or folding prop? What fluid now in saildrive? DV "

I believe as I did not change

I believe as I did not change it that it is BP vanellus global c6 15W30 and about 100 hours since oil change and about 1000 hours all up and a folding prop

"I need a replacement propello

"I need a replacement propellor for a volvo penta 2001 connected to a 120s saildrive. My 2004 parts catalogue lists the item as part no 839514 (two blade prop 14 x 8) + anode. However, originally the saildrive was fitted with the more expensive folding prop' (3858507). Can you use the cheaper fixed blade replacement, is it directly compatible? What about a three blade prop?
Thanks Ken"

"I have an S2 1981 sailboat wi

"I have an S2 1981 sailboat with a volvo/penta saildrive. There is a "rubberized" "membrane" on the hull where the lower unit comes through the hull which has deteriorated badly and needs replacement. Does anyone know what it's called, and where I can get a replacement?"

"help! has anyone experiences

"help! has anyone experiences loosing a propeller???? We thought we had a transmission problem when we lost one of our engines transmissions in our sailing catamaran. When we dove on it ..... the propeller was gone!! Why did this happen? How can we be sure it won't happen again when we get a new one??
The weather was not severe, we didn't hit anything, I don't get it!!!
Thanks for your advice in advance"

"I have experience with a lost

"I have experience with a lost MaxProp three blades folding propeller on a Volvo 120S saildrive, but my analysis concluded that the cause was a missing pin in the propeller back bolt."

"My 120S saildrive has a dent

"My 120S saildrive has a dent of abt 5 mm in the front edge,just below the hull; the dent is possibly due to attrition with some hard rope or fishing net. Does somebody have drawings to understand what is behind it, i.e. whether there is any risk of a major breakdown if the remaining thikness is small?
Many thanks for help. Please email [email protected]"

"I recently installed my secon

"I recently installed my second volvo se120 saildrive--my first one "disolved" losing the bottom along with the prop $$!-- the problem I have now is a slow leak of oil that sheens the surface of the water around my transom.
There is no water in the transmission and that makes it a mystery--how does oil get out and wateer not get in?
Anyone have experience with this problem? Are the shaft seals prone to leakage and if so where can I buy a new one? Thanks, Larry"

where can I buy a shat seal fo

where can I buy a shat seal for the se120 drive?
Anyone have experience with a seal that failed so bad that saltwater flowed out of the dip stick port? What was your solution... did it sieze up... is a special tool required to replace the seal???? thanks

"I have a 120 saildrive connec

"I have a 120 saildrive connected to a Penta 2003 engine. the prop is a 16" with a 11 deg pitch. The problem is that I can over run the max revs of the engine (3k) which would indicate to me that I need either a bigger prop or a greater pitch. Trouble is, I am not sure of the best option. Boat is a 36" with a displacement of 5 tons. Can any one out there advise please?
Thanks"

"I have a volvo md5c with a 12

"I have a volvo md5c with a 120 saildrive,i need info on changing the rubber diaphragm..can anyone help me please??"

"Hi Dave,

I had my MD11c &a

"Hi Dave,

I had my MD11c & 110 Saildrive changed for a MD2003 with a 120 saildrive last year and watched most of the process. I am fairly certain that it will not be necessary to remove the engine to swap the diaphragm, depending on available space in the engine bay.

The gearbox (saildrive) will have to be separated from the engine and the bolts on the ring removed, once this is done you should have enough movement to lift out the saildrive and complete the operation. Depending on what prop you have you might need to remove this as well if space is tight. Don't forget to support the saildrive if it is not connected to the engine.

It will also be helpful to have the boat out of the water before you start
proud.gif
"

I have a 2002 Penta with a 120

I have a 2002 Penta with a 120 SB saildrive hanging off the bottom. I have just has the Saildrive removed to fit a new rubber boot. The Repair folks ate telling me that the saildrive has experienced a fair bit of ware and needs 3700$ worth of parts for rebuilding. (splines warn etc.) The engine has 1364hrs on it and I'm surprised at heavy wear showing up. Can Anyone tell me if it is possible to get a re-manufactured 120 as a replacement? Does anyone know if a new 130 will fit in place of my 120? Any other options appreciated.

Hi am just wondering if anyone

Hi am just wondering if anyone has any info on the 120 SB saildrive. It seems to be stuck in gear. It is attached to a Volvo 2003 engine on an LM30 - How much to get it repaired? how much to replace? Any test I can do - OIL looks OK
boat has been sitting for a while and just got the engine running. the salt water intake through the saildrive is plugged so we got seawater from another thruhole.

thank you - mark

Back