Logo

1970bs Chrysler 55hp leaks fuel through lower unit

M

Mike Venable

" I am not sure where to start

" I am not sure where to start looking for the problem. When I squeeze the primer bulb, the fuel starts coming out little holes on the lower unit. I was told that the motor needed some sort of gasket, but the guy wasnt sure. I wouild just like to know where to start looking for the problem, or if this is a common problem that is easily fixed.
P.S. No fuel leak visible on top. "

No it doesnt. Can yo utell m

No it doesnt. Can yo utell me where the pump is located? Thank you

" Could I just bypass the pump

" Could I just bypass the pump, and install an electric fuel pump at the gas tank? "

" I found the pump. It was pr

" I found the pump. It was pretty obvious. I thought it was some type of filter at first. It is the diaphram. It has a few cracks. It would be cheaper for me to bypass it and put a low pressure electric fuel pump(around $25). Is it ok to do that, or MUST I replace it with the same? "

" Check with a MERCURY dealer

" Check with a MERCURY dealer FORCE was chrysler ,should be able to cross-reference the part.That original pump is the best way to go. "

Thanks so much Sparky!! You

Thanks so much Sparky!! You have been a great help. I only spent $100 on a 16 foot fishing boat and the Chrysler outboard. Looks like I'll only spend about another $150 - $200 to get her on the lake.

Back